Sharp pain in the ear can be a nuisance. How to get rid of an earache? Some home remedies for ear pain can be of great help. Ear pain can feel unbearable, making it difficult to sleep, eat, or do anything but think about the pain. Many children find it particularly difficult to deal with an earache. There are several home remedies for people experiencing ear pain. With this post, we explore the 5 most effective home remedies for earache.
Ear infections are quite common amongst children. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that in case of ear infections, pain management should be the focus and not the use of antibiotics. This is because overuse of antibiotics may often lead to antibiotic-resistant infections. The good news is that you can find most of the things that can give you relief at home or in your kitchen pantry.
This article explores 5 most effective home remedies that may help people experiencing ear pain.
- Garlic: Crush two cloves of garlic and mix it with 2 teaspoons of mustard oil. Heat this mixture until the garlic turns slightly black. Allow it to cool down and then apply few drops inside the infected ear. The analgesic properties of garlic help relieve pain
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is known for its antibacterial and antifungal characteristics. It has been found that apple cider vinegar creates an environment where bacteria and viruses cannot survive. This happens because apple cider vinegar changes the pH of the ear canal. To do this, warm some vinegar and apply on the infected ear with a cotton bud. Let the vinegar penetrate into the ear. You can also dilute it a bit with water and then soak the cotton bud in this liquid. Plug the bud inside the ear and let it remain for about 5 minutes. Then take it out gently.
- Basil Leaves: Basil leaves have Anti-Inflammatory properties and also have antibacterial properties. Juice of basil leaves can be used to relieve earaches. To use this, crush few fresh basil leaves and use the juice to treat the infected ear.
- Salt: Salt can soak draw fluids from ears to relieve ear pains. To use salt, heat some on low flame and then dip a cotton bud to coat it with warm salt. Place this in your ear for about 10 minutes.
- Mustard Oil: Wax is a common reason for ear pains and mustard oil acts as a wax emulsifier. Add a few drops of organic mustard oil in the ear that is experiencing pain and turn on the other side. Stay in this position for 10-15 minutes. The wax should come out of the ear relieving you from pain.